Header menu link for other important links
Performance Analysis of IC Engine Using Parabolic Fin
R.D. Lande, O.P. Ajegaonkar, S.S. Nikam, ,
Published in Springer Science and Business Media Deutschland GmbH
Pages: 215 - 225
Fins are set on the surface of the cylinder to improve the quantity of heat exchange by convection. Addition of fins can increase the heat transfer from the surface by several folds. IC engine is used to generate the mechanical power from chemical energy contain in a fuel which released to combustion of fuel inside the engine. If excessive heat is not removed, engine components may fail due to excessive temperature. Only approximately 30% of energy released is converted into useful work, the remaining 70% must be removed from the engine to prevent engine parts from melting. To determine the heat transfer rate associated with the fin, we must first obtain the temperature distribution along the fin. The variety of fins are available to enhance heat transfer rate including parabolic concave/convex, triangular, rectangular, trapezoidal, circular and so on. But some of the profiles are difficult to manufacture. In this paper, performance of convex parabolic fin was investigated by Ansys software. In the analysis part total five cases of parabolic fin were considered by varying fin base width, tip width, pitch length, number of fins and fin diameter. Temperature variation of all five cases described in this paper were analyzed by using Ansys software. © 2023, The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd.
About the journal
JournalLecture Notes in Mechanical Engineering
PublisherSpringer Science and Business Media Deutschland GmbH